Weeks Public Library

Weeks Public Library

            36 Post Road          

  PO Box 430  Greenland, NH 03840
Home   Calendar  Catalog  Reference Help   
Homework Help       Kids     Teens     Online Newsstand
phone: 603-436-8548 Library Policies    Newsletters    Directions    New    
fax: 603-427-0913 Bulletin Board   Museum Passes    Friends of the Library 
weekspl@comcast.net     Town of Greenland      Schools     Greenland History   Greenland in the News

 

Memories of Old Greenland

Do you have a picture to share, bring it to the library and we will digitally preserve it and make it available to all. Call the library at (603) 436-8548 for more information.

The Greenland Central School

From the collection of Paul Hughes

Packer Brook, site of various Mills and the Saco Canning Factory in the 1920s. Opposite Ocean Road.

Picture property of Cynthia Smith and Carolyn White.

Winnicut River Dam. [Full image]

Picture property of Cynthia Smith and Carolyn White.

Greenland Fire House, 1943 [Full image]

Picture property of Marie Hussey

410 Portsmouth Ave. [Full image]

Picture property of Jean Arsenault.

Ellis G. Walden butcher cart near his home at the old parsonage, 47 Tide Mill Road, c1900. 

From the collection of Paul Hughes.

Methodist Church, circa 1895, erected in 1837.

Picture property of Cynthia Smith and Carolyn White.

 

 

South District School, late 1800's, later Dick Moody house, 354 Post Road.  

From the collection of Paul Hughes.

Frink Mansion, c.1905. Erected in 1758, it became the Folsom Tavern in 1810.

Picture property of Cynthia Smith and Carolyn White.

Left: Ellen Augusta Brackett (1882-1908). The church clock was a gift from her parents in memory of her and her brother Colborn Barrell Brackett (1884-1907), both of whom died young, he from Scarlet Fever, and she from ptomaine poisoning. 

From the collection of Paul Hughes.

A winter view from 48 Post Road.

Photo property of Dick Hazzard.

George W. Lord (1858-1934), rural mail carrier (1908-1925).  

From the collection of Paul Hughes.

Steamed Clams, Great Bay, c1900.

From the collection of Paul Hughes.

"Trolley cars no more we'll chase, The auto bus has taken their place." 

From the collection of Paul Hughes.

Brackett Academy, built c.1825, burned in 1919.

Picture property of Cynthia Smith and Carolyn White.

 Greenland town historian, Paul Hughes. Taken at the State Archives, 1998. Read his essay in Cross-Grained & Wily Waters. His typescript history of Greenland "A Quiet Abiding Place" can be found in the Weeks Public Library.

From the collection of Paul Hughes.

Liberty Hill Homestead, built c.1750, photo c.1896. Present owner: Helen Tapley.

Picture property of Cynthia Smith and Carolyn White.

 

 

Last Edited:  January 18, 2013             Email us at weekspl@comcast.net